Saturday, July 26, 2014

The google makes ME stupid

   In the past week we read the article "Is google make us stupid?" When I read this article I feel kind of stupid. Let me explain. The article talk about the way of thinking that is builded by the internet. In this new way we use more skimming and scanning, we don't read difficult and longer texts like in the past. So, this is me! In the past I usually read a lot of books. Some are really difficult. My focussing was really good. I read a 600 pages book and two days and half. Now it is difficult to me to read on chapter! I'm having lot of problems with focussing. Anything could draw my attention. It is impossible to do something with someone talking or when are music playing around. This is a huge problem! Not only to read books, but to do other things too. I spend more than 5 hours per day in the internet. I don't know how can I fix my focussing problems, but I don't wanna give up the internet. I think the only way is trying to read more books and not reading less on the internet. Hope I can do this.

5 comments:

  1. Diogo,
    I often feel the same way that you do when using websites or even when reading a magazine that has lots of pictures and text-boxes with information. I have decided that I need to look everything over first to satisfy my curiosity and THEN, I focus myself on what I need to read. This is my strategy!
    Susan HL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diogo,
    I guess that if you start reading 4 pages today, 5 tomorrow and follow that rule, you will be able to read 600 pages so fast! Why don't you try it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was plagued in the problem too. There are so many attractions on the Internet. Sometimes I lost myself in it. We should get more self control to overcome the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lu, I used to have this same problem, too, particularly with social media. A number of years ago, I had the self control to remove it from my daily activities, and I could really tell the difference in how I was better able to focus on other things.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for all the tips I will try some. I really need something to change this situation. It is been really hard to read long and difficult articles, especially in english :/

    ReplyDelete