Sunday, July 27, 2014

Stuck in the past

Three years ago, when I was 17, I was wondering about the big change in my life: to turn 18 years old. Turning 18 years old in Brazil is a big deal because we can start driving classes, going to parties, bars, pubs, drinking, smoking.. we become adults. I used to have freedom in my country to go wherever I want to go, drink whatever I want to drink and do everything I want based in my responsibility. I used to arrive at home at 7:00 AM, shower and ready to university! I am still wondering how I could do it and still have good grates.. Maybe because I used to study so much during the week (8:00 AM - 10:00 PM). Well, whatever.
Here am I, feeling the same thing I used to feel three years ago: no bars, no fun, no parties.. And I really like to go to parties! I don't care about alcohol or smoking or whatever.. I only want to go to party so I can have fun. At least I will become 21 here in the US and I will be able to have my fun time here.
Nowadays, I wonder if I was so anxious about my 18 as I am for turn 21. I wish all this time pass quickly!
I guess this is the difference that I am always noticing and remembering.
In Brazil, we used to eat rice and beans every day. The food here is too different. The impression that my stomach has every lunch is that I am trying to cheating: pretending that it is full but in a hour it is empty. It is hard to change rice and beans to bread. Whatever, I am happy here! I wish this could be an experience I have never had: as that what it is so far!

1 comment:

  1. I also had that feel from 17 to 18 years old, to have my freedom and all, and when I came to USA for the first time I felt the same way you are feeling now, because I was 19 and I had to watch my parents and my sister having a beer at the Hard Rock Cafe, while I had to drink a coke.

    ReplyDelete