Sunday, July 20, 2014

Evolution of Music

As everything in the world, our ways to reproduce music has changed along the years. At the beginning, there was the Gramophone, which consists in twist the crank in a certain speed, and then the Gramophone starts to "read" the disc, and the sound come out.

After that, we have Regina, which is almost the same as the Gramophone, but it is only a box, but you still need to twist the crank for it to work.

In both cases, you use iron discs to play the song, but then the Vinyl discs were created, making it easier to make them.

After that, one of the best inventions is Jukebox, a big music box, which contains several vinyl discs, where anyone could pay to play the song they wanted. It was very common in bars.

But all of those were too big for someone to take to another place, and then came the Cassette Tapes. They are so easy to carry that you can put them in your pocket. The only negative point is that is much harder and takes longer to chose an exact song, and also you have to rewind it after using.


To solve that problem, the CD were created. It is a Compact Disc, which works almost the same way as a vinyl disc, but it is much smaller and have even more space to write song in it.

The MP3 is the most popular format of music nowadays, it stands for MPEG Audio Layer III, that is the most compact format of music, with the best quality.

Nowadays we almost don't use any rigid disc to play our musics, we just put our musics in a flashcard, plug in our cellphone or any player and just listen to it. Can things get easier than that?

4 comments:

  1. I remember like it was yesterday when I used download a lot of music and save them in a disc. It was so awesome! Then I won my first MP3 player. Wow! Such a revolution. Today nobody has a device that is just a music player.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucas, I received my first iPod nano last year- I was so excited to have a music player! I fondly referred to it as an "MP3" player, which many people told me was incorrect. I now call it my "iPod", appropriately, and I use it all the time!
      I think many people are moving to listening to music on their telephones instead of separate music players, like you say. Maybe in another 5-10 years I will get a smartphone so I can, too!

      Delete
  2. The only way things could get simpler than that is if they went straight to our brains! Ah!

    I remember for my 10th or 11th birthday, I was SO excited to get a Backstreet Boys cassette. I listened to it in my walkman for days! Now the only place I can play tapes (cassettes) is in my boombox...not even in my car- there is no tape player!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My young neighbors just got married two weeks ago, and do you know what they did? They asked that their wedding presents be used games (like you see at Goodwill) AND old LP records to play on a stereo! These are young, professional people, not even 30 years old, but they like to do things the simple way sometimes. They are also hi-tech in many aspects of their life, but they still like to slow it down and not use the most recent technology for everything. Isn't that funny?
    Susan HL

    ReplyDelete