Sunday, July 20, 2014

Is technology making us stupid?

Yes. No. Maybe. For some people, technology is making us. For some people, technology is helping. For me, the answer is maybe. The truth is: technology makes everything easier. People like to judge it so badly but they forget that they can turn it off and do something. I think that technology makes easier but not stupid.
People have to put everything in a balance so they will see how addicted or how needed they are. Technology starts to make us stupid when we forget to balance everything. 
Let me give an example: calculator.
Calculators are so great for mathematical students because you can draw a perfect graph in a hurry and it could tend to the infinite. Drawing a hand graph is much more complicated because you tend to make a mistake. This is technology well availed. 
Instead of using calculator, people could work on simple math to improve their math skills. Some people think it is hard and prefer to use the calculator but if you don't work hard on it, you tend to be addicted to technology and that's when you start to become stupid. 
Technology had pros and cons. You must balance it all and see what you really need from the technology and what is just luxury or laziness. 
If something is tempting you to be stupid, just avoid it. I used to judge technology and think that is only for helping people. I used to have problems with the balance but after watching a five minutes video, I changed my mind and figured out that I need a balance or I would end up being stupid. I am still trying on it. 
If you have 5 minutes, here is the video:
Look up.

1 comment:

  1. Lucas, thank you for the thoughtful post! You make a great point that it's up to us to decide where to draw the line between using and abusing technology. I love the video you shared with us, too! It fits right into our conversation the other day about walking around campus without talking or making eye contact. I'm going to use this video in my future classes! Thank you, Lucas!

    ReplyDelete